Black & White Cabs has a long and proud history of providing transportation services in Australia beginning in the heart of three taxi companies.
Brisbane’s first taxi company lives on today within the Black & White Cabs family. The Ascot Taxi Service was started in 1919 by Edmund William, Henry Beckman and Edward Roland Videan, from the Ascot Garage on Racecourse Road, with only one vehicle. By 1924 the fleet had grown to four vehicles; three Willys Knight tourers and an Overland, the first sedan taxi in Brisbane. At the cutting edge of innovation, Ascot Taxi Service was the leading company to introduce two-way radios in taxis.
Blue & White Taxis commenced operation in 1928 from premises on George Street in Brisbane, opposite the Hotel Cecil. It continued operations from this location until 1950 when the company moved to a new building on the corner of Eagle Terrace and Quay Street in Brisbane.
Black & White Cabs was founded in 1936, in an office situated in the Strand Building on the corner of Queen and Albert Street in Brisbane city, with a depot on Turbot Street. In 1950, a depot and garage were established in Barry Parade, Fortitude Valley.
By 1956 Black & White Cabs and Blue & White Taxis entered into a joint venture, Taxi Services Limited, and purchased premises at 37 Quay Street, North Quay, which became the communications centre for both companies.
Black & White Cabs and Blue & White Taxis operated independent two-way radio dispatch systems from the same building until they merged in July 1983 to become Black & White Cabs. The communications centre was moved to new premises in Fortitude Valley to accommodate a new computer dispatch system.
Motivated to provide a full range of passenger vehicles to service the needs of all of the travelling public, Black & White Cabs introduced our first Wheelchair Accessible Cabs to the fleet in 1998.
Later identifying a need for luxury travel with exceptional customer service, in 2002 Black & White Cabs introduced the Business Class service to the fleet in Brisbane, to service the growing demand of business and affluent travellers.
At Black & White Cabs we have always been at the forefront of technology; during 1997/1998 all the vehicles in the fleet were equipped with EFTPOS facilities for the convenience of passengers.
A program to replace the company’s dispatch system with a Raywood Dispatcher III Automatic GPS was completed in June 2000. At the time, the Raywood Dispatch System was the most technologically advanced of its kind. The system incorporated world’s best practice taxi dispatch techniques such as satellite tracking and computer/ telephone integration.
To coincide with the installation of the new dispatch system, Black & White Cabs moved its corporate headquarters and communications centre from Fortitude Valley to a modern, purpose built facility at the Brisbane Airport where the company currently resides. In 2001, Black & White Cabs introduced Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology to the company’s booking system, automating interactions with customers for more efficient booking options.
eCab was introduced into the company in 2005, the service was set up to further automate Black & White Cabs taxi booking facilities. eCab allowed customers to register online for a free service providing options to book taxis via SMS, online or by phone bookings.
The Black & White Cabs fleet has enjoyed a steady growth since conception. Black & White Cabs purchased Garden City Cabs in 2004, Redcliffe Taxi Service in 2009 and Black & White Taxis Perth, in August 2011.
In April 2009, Black & White Cabs began operating the MTData Taxi Dispatch and Tracking System in its Toowoomba and Maryborough fleets. The system was later extended across the entire fleet in 2012.